At the Tuesday, February 25 Board of Selectmen Meeting Town Manager Norman Khumalo will submit a comprehensive budget to the Board of Selectmen, School Committee, Appropriation Committee and the Capital Improvement Committee. This must be done before March 1 as per the Town Charter. The public comment period of the meeting is scheduled for 6:30pm, with the budget discussion scheduled for 7:15pm. You may attend in person (Town Hall, 2nd Floor) or watch on HCAM-TV. The Selectmen will either adopt or amend the Town Manager’s budget, and submit it to the Appropriation Committee by the March 15 deadline. They are expected to do this at their March 11 meeting.
Documents for your Reference:
Tax Impacts from Preliminary Financial Projections:
- The Preliminary Financial Forecast assumed a 4.4% school budget increase, however the School Committee has submitted a 4.91% school budget increase, including tuition-free full-day Kindergarten.
- The Preliminary Financial Forecast projected a net 3.13% increased tax impact. This increase would NOT require a proposition 2 1/2 override vote, because Hopkinton has over $2 million in excess levy capacity. The preliminary forecast would tap into a portion of the excess levy capacity.
- Stay tuned to the Board of Selectmen meeting for updated budget projections and tax impacts.
Members of the Hopkinton School Committee will be holding office hours on Monday, February 24, 2014 at 11:00 A.M. at the Hopkinton Senior Center to provide residents with an opportunity to attend and ask questions or give feedback regarding current school-related issues.
The Board of Selectmen will be interviewing police chief candidates on Thursday, February 27th at Town Hall. There will be an opportunity for the public to meet and greet the candidates from 5:30-6:00pm.
2014-02-27 Board of Selectmen Agenda
Just a quick reminder that there are many seats are open for our local town election coming up on May 19, 2014. According to HopNews, four candidates have pulled nomination papers so far, click here to read their names. To become a candidate a person must be a registered voter in Hopkinton and either obtain and submit nomination papers by securing the signatures of 50 Hopkinton registered voters by March 31; or a person may qualify by being the top vote getter in one of the town political party caucuses. The Democratic Caucus is Saturday, April 5 and the Republican Caucus is Friday, April 11.
OFFICES ON THE MAY 19 BALLOT
- SELECTMEN, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- BOARD OF ASSESSORS, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- BOARD OF HEALTH, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES, For 3 years, Vote for 2
- CEMETERY COMMISSIONER, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- COMMISSIONER OF TRUST FUND, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- HOUSING AUTHORITY, For 3 years, Vote for 1
- PARKS & RECREATION COMMISSION, For 3 years, Vote for 2
- PLANNING BOARD, For 5 years, Vote for 1
- SCHOOL COMMITTEE, For 3 years, Vote for 2
For more information, contact the Town Clerk’s office at 508-497-9710 or email@example.com. Click to read more on the Town Clerk’s website.
The Town of Hopkinton recently publicized the current vacancies on Town Boards & Committees. If you have been curious or interested in volunteering on behalf of your community, now is an excellent time to get involved. The current list of town Board and Committee vacancies as of January 8 are listed below. In addition four members of the 300th Anniversary Committee have since resigned:
- ADA Oversight Committee (1 seat)
- Board of Appeals Associate Member (2 seats)
- Capital Improvement Committee (1 seat)
- Cultural Council (Maximum 26 members)
- Historical Commission (1 seat)
- Lake Maspenock Dam Advisory Group Associate as an Upton, Milford or Lake Association Resident (1 seat)
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council Rep. (1 seat, Hopkinton Representation)
- South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC) (1 seat, Hopkinton Representation)
- Sustainable Green Committee At-Large (1 seat)
- Sustainable Green Committee Associate (2 seats)
- Upper Charles Trail Committee Alternate Member (1 seat)
- Woodville Historic District Commission (4 seats)
To apply for a volunteer position, please click here to visit the town website and fill out the online volunteer form. Interested parties may also visit the Board of Selectmen’s Office to fill out an application in person. For more information about a Board or Committee, please visit the committee website and contact the respective Board or Committee Chairperson, or call Jamie Hellen, Operation’s Assistant to the Town Manager’s Office, at 508-497-9700.
As you may have heard, on January 31 Hopkinton Public Schools switched away from the iContact mass email service that it had been using for several years. Parents must now all create SchoolWires accounts and register for E-Alerts on the School District Website.
If you have NOT received any school emails in February, you may not be signed up correctly yet. A message was sent out on February 10 with more detailed sign-up instructions, but if you are not signed up correctly you probably did not receive the message. The SchoolWires sign-up requires many more steps than the old system. Be sure to go into your Subscriptions settings and select:
- Other Areas of Interest > Change the School > Change Channel to “Parents” > Check “Announcements”
- Repeat for each school for which you wish to receive announcements .
- Click on “I’m Done” to save your settings.
Read more on the HPS Website