The eHop board hopes everyone had a nice holiday vacation and wishes you all the best in 2013. Just before the break on December 20, Interim Superintendent Hiersche presented his preliminary 2013-14 budget (FY14) to the School Committee. The preliminary proposed budget is a 4% increase from this year, here are some highlights:
- Maintains reasonable class sizes
- Supports some Strategic Plan initiatives (foreign language initiative would be deferred)
- Maintains all services in special education
- Maintains all district curricula and extracurricular programs (such as sports)
- Addresses key maintenance projects
- Contains NO fee increases to parents
- If the budget were level-funded (a 0% increase from this year) then the proposed budget would have to be reduced by $1,363,410, likely impacting: class sizes at all levels, strategic initiatives, user fees, and the ability to provide current transportation services.
- Read more…
Please note that nothing is final at this point, this is just the beginning of a process. The School Committee will provide feedback to the Superintendent who will then refine the budget before the School Committee votes on a budget to submit to the Town Manager by the February 1 deadline. If you have an opinion, question, comment or concern about any part of the budget you should feel free to contact the School Committee email@example.com and Superintendent firstname.lastname@example.org at any time. You may also voice your opinion in person at the School Budget Public Hearing coming up on January 24.